Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Straight Jacket Revisited

In my very first blog (now defunct) I wrote quite a bit about the Straight Jacket Escape. Specifically, my hatred for it and yet love of it. I felt it had been overdone and often ruined by performers who didn't understand what they had. In addition, though I've laughed at many of the comedic routines presented with a straight jacket escape, I also dislike in the strongest terms the idea of using such a grand device in comedy.

And to add fuel to the fire, I dislike the hanging upside down straight jacket escapes also. In truth, I wouldn't mind them if the performer gave the audience a real show, a real struggle to escape. But when a performer gets out of a straight jacket in 10-30 seconds then why even bother. Honestly, why bother even putting it on if you are going to get out that fast. Where is the challenge? There is none.

I myself do not do a traditional straight jacket escape. I opted instead for the rather unusual Steel Straight Jacket Escape. But my current wide girth doesn't allow for that escape, at least at the moment. So that is not in my show either.

However, yesterday while thinking about how to turn the Straight Jacket Escape on it's head, basically do something with it that has never been done, I came up with an idea that frankly contains more drama than hanging upside down, and more danger than if the rope were on fire. And NO ONE has done it. There is only one problem.....it actually IS dangerous. And as Penn Jillette says "actually putting yourself in harms way in magic is morally wrong" (or something to that effect).

So while I'm figuring out how to at least lesson the danger factor, I'll hold onto.

2 comments:

  1. I read this and I was just trying to look for info about the straitjacket

    ReplyDelete